This year has been tough on everyone. I think that everyone is dealing with exhaustion. The pandemic, a global recession, working from home, studying from home, everyone home. What started as a refreshing change became challenging as families juggled work and home responsibilities. The constant fear of the pandemic as numbers grew then fell and then grew again. The recession and its its dramatic flow on impact to employment and financial security.
This DIGEST comes from an article by Scott Eblin of the Eblin Group. Scott wrote about his own exhaustion this year and how his wife helped him with a process to getting life back in order.
What Do You Do When You Are Dealing With Exhaustion
- Admit to yourself that you are exhausted – The first step with dealing with a problem is recognising that an it exists. No one can do their best work when they are dealing with exhaustion. You lose creativity, lose focus and often get irritable.
- Get things off your list – When you are exhausted you need to be ruthless in cutting the non essential activities. This is the time to make time and space for your self. So if you don’t have to do it right now, defer or cancel it.
- Change up your input – Our refresh and resilience can come from different places. But when your brain needs a reset look at what stimuli you can change. Consider a podcast, an art gallery, phone a friend or take a run in the park.
- Do things that are fun and bring you joy – We refresh ourselves when we are enjoying ourselves. Good company, great conversation and connecting can make the difference. If you are in a part of the world where face to face is not safe right now use video it is the best alternative.
- Try to pick something that you can finish quickly – A sense of accomplishment helps refresh. If you can enjoy and knock it off quite quickly then its likely help.
- Eat, move, sleep – like all routines it is often the most basic ones that go out the window when we are exhausted. Recovery starts with going back to the basics, eat well, drink in moderation and exercise regularly.
- When you are feeling exhausted, start by accepting you need to make a change.
- Prioritise to make life manageable.
- Work to reset with activities that engage the mind and motivate the soul.
DIGEST of an article from Eblin Group What to do when you're feeling exhausted by Scott Eblin Published: 8th December 2020 https://eblingroup.com/blog/what-to-do-when-youre-feeling-exhausted/